Friday, September 16, 2005

Tulsa Is Well Represented

I want to add my congratulations to each of the 2005 Oklahoma Academic All-Staters. You can check out the list of 100 here. You must be nominated to even be considered for one of these awards. It is rigorous to say the least.

The Tulsa area is well represented with 1 from Bixby, 2 from BTW, 1 from Memorial, 6 from Jenks, 2 from Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, 1 from Union, 1 from Broken Arrow and 1 from Owasso. If I left someone in the area out, I apologize.

I was a little surprised that there was not a representative from Tulsa School of Arts and Sciences. TSAS scored above every one of the schools mentioned above on ACT scores, except OSSM. They certainly had students that were qualified. Maybe the judges didn't think a charter school is a public school.

Check out the Oklahoma Charter School Act. It clearly states that charter schools are public schools. "B. For purposes of the Oklahoma Charter Schools Act, "charter school" means a public school established by contract with a board of education of a school district or an area vocational-technical school district pursuant to the Oklahoma Charter Schools Act to provide learning that will improve student achievement and as defined in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, 20 U.S.C. 8065"

Maybe next year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should change your blog name to "they are great schools, but I think I will whine about TSAS".

Red Bug said...

What a Rodney Dangerfield moment, "I get no respect, no respect at all!"

I will have to think about my promotion of TSAS a little more...
but you are doing your part by reading my blog. Thank you very much :)